Every Sunday morning, Hyde Park United Methodist’s Open Arms Ministry provides a nourishing meal to homeless and low-income individuals, and an invitation to worship with the congregation. Open Arms also collects toiletries and clothing on a regular basis and distributes these on the first Sunday of the month. Haircuts are available on the third Sunday of the month.
Open Arms Guests
- Hyde Park’s Sunday morning meal to feed those who are homeless or simply in need of a meal and someone to talk to. Food is served every Sunday in the Harnish Activities Center at the corner of Magnolia Avenue and Azeele Street.
- Doors open around 7:15 a.m. — Guests are welcome to take To Go containers
- ACCESS Assistance (Helps with Florida food stamps, cash assistance programs)
- Bible study 9:30 a.m. every Sunday
- Mail distribution — Sundays only
- Free WiFi service and cell phone charging
- Free library and greeting cards every Sunday
- Free haircuts, monthly as available
- Free bicycle tune-ups and repairs — most Sundays only
- Our Clothing Closet is open on the first Sunday of every month
- Holy Communion is served on the first Sunday of each month
- We host Mission Smiles, a dental ministry, in April and October
For more information, contact Pam Carpenter.
There are multiple opportunities to help with the life-changing impact of our Open Arms ministry to the homeless and those in need. Contact Jill Krantz, volunteer coordinator, to learn more and sign up.
- Sunday during Open Arms: Prepare food at 7 a.m., serve food at 8 a.m. and clean-up at 9 a.m., whatever works best for your schedule
- Throughout the week to support Open Arms: Food and bread pickups, organize clothing
- Monthly during Open Arms: Distribute clothing and toiletries (first Sunday of the month), cut hair (third Sunday)
- Semi-Annually During Open Arms: Mission Smiles dental clinic
Disposable food containers, clothing and toiletries are distributed to our Open Arms guests weekly. Donations may be dropped off at our Ministry Offices. Contact Pam Carpenter for specific donation needs.
View more ways to serve at our church, locally and around the world here.