The Confirmation experience is an exciting time of faith discovery, reflection and commitment.
Confirmation is the time when a personal decision is made to confirm the vows that were made for us at our baptism.
At Hyde Park United Methodist this happens as a group of students, typically in grades 7-8, come together for a few months to explore who Christ is, what it means to know and be loved by God, and how we live out our faith as United Methodists. If your student is in grade 9-12, they are welcome to participate.
The Confirmation ceremony is a public affirmation of them claiming their faith for themselves. The Confirmand is taking responsibility for living as a member of the body of Christ and for living out God’s purposes in their life.
It is our hope that each student will commit to a real and personal faith, and begin to cherish the rich heritage we have as United Methodists. This includes the building of relationships with peers and adults who will support them in their faith.
Confirmation is not simply a “rite of passage.” Nor, just a class to complete. It is a step in a life-long journey of faith.
Please speak with your student(s) about the value of this experience as you make the decision for them to participate.
- Attend classes and ceremony (see schedule below)
- Personal devotional, journaling and homework assignments
- All students must be baptized before they can be confirmed. If your student has not been baptized, they will be on the day of our Confirmation service.
Classes will be held 9:30-10:45 a.m. on Sundays during our regular Merge Youth time. Students are put into small groups with two adult small group leaders.
Confirmation 2023 Schedule is as follows:
- Weekly classes: 9:30-10:45 a.m. Sundays – Starts Jan. 22
- Ceremony: 11 a.m. Sunday, April 30 in the Sanctuary (during Traditional service)
- What if our family are not church members? That’s okay.
- What if my student misses a session? We ask that students do not miss more than two sessions, and the content will need to be made up. Make up times will be available.
- Will there be a virtual option? No.