There’s no one secret to the success of groups and classes.
Here is a helpful list of guidelines for group leaders and participants:
- Frame every gathering in prayer
- Always include Scripture
- Commit to honesty and confidentiality
- Attend faithfully
- Accept differing points of view
- Hold one another accountable
- Pray for one another daily
These resources will help prepare you:
- Tips for Facilitating Groups and Classes
- Groups Handbook
- Small Groups Overview
- Group Health Survey
- Group Yearly Planning Calendar
- Principles for Groups
Need a new book, resource or study?
- Church Library – Knox Hall Room 153
- Curriculum Library – John Barolo’s Office, Ministry Offices (click here for a list of current resources)
- Recommended Curricula List from Church of the Resurrection (Leewood, KS) (click here for list with ranks and topics)
- Need recommendations? Contact John Barolo.
- Cokesbury – Online Bookstore of the United Methodist Church
- Upper Room Bookstore – Focus on Spiritual Growth Resources
Inspiration and Devotion
- Upper Room Devotional – Daily devotional with scripture from the United Methodist Church
- Sacred Space – Daily guided prayer from the Irish Jesuits
- d365 – Daily guided prayer experience from the Episcopal church, Presbyterian Church USA and Cooperative Baptist Fellowship
Recommended Marriage Studies (all available in our Curriculum Library):
- 10 Great Dates to Energize Your Marriage, Arp
- Zimsum of Love, Bell
- The Five Love Languages, Chapman
- Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage, Gungor
- Love to Stay: Sex, Grace and Commitment, Hamilton
- Your Time-Starved Marriage, Parrott
- iMarriage – Transforming Your Expectations, Stanley
- Because Great Marriages Just Don’t Happen
- The 4 Season’s of Marriage, Gary Chapman
- Scary Close, Donald Miller
- Sacred Marriage, Gary Thomas
- Team Us – Marriage Together, Ashleigh Slater
- The Marriage You’ve Always Wanted, Gary Chapman
- The 5 Love Languages of Children, Gary Chapman
How to Become a Group Leader
Do you feel led to be a facilitator of a group or class for adults
at Hyde Park United Methodist?
- Read through the Expectations for Adult Education Facilitators and see what is required.
- Contact Glenn to set up a time to discuss how you could serve.You may also want to browse the different ministry descriptions above for more information about specific roles.