Dear Hyde Park Family,
With Valentine’s Day this Sunday, I wrote this prayer that you might join me in offering to God, seeking blessing on ourselves and those whom we love. Happy Valentine’s Day!
A VALENTINE’S DAY PRAYER
Eternal and Loving God,
In your very being we discover the essence of relational, triune love. You are the Lover, the Beloved, and the Love that Flows Between Them. As one created in your image, empower me today to be a person of deeper love, encompassing heart, soul, mind, and strength, both for you and for those around me.
- Teach me to love those dearest to me, those with whom I am most vulnerable and most guarded. Help us to rebuild trust and authenticity with each other.
- Enable me to forgive and to ask for forgiveness, that I may share in the reconciling work of Jesus. May the impact of hurtful memories wane over time, along with ill will and resentment of others.
- Grant me deeper friendships with those who can help me be the best version of myself. May they help me be accountable for my actions, offer me godly advice, and speak the truth to me without judgment.
- Sharpen my awareness of those who feel unloved and unlovable. Strengthen my resolve to be an agent of hospitality to the lonely, of comfort for the frightened, and mercy for the hurting.
- Open my heart to a greater sense of your love for me. A love that is tenacious, patient, and unconditional. Remove the barriers that I have erected in my spirit that block the free flow of your love in my life. Work through my doubt, do not be deceived by my pride, and heal me of my guilt and shame.
Loving God, in you I find my truest and best self, as one created in your triune, relational image. Thank you for your grace, and thank you for your love.
In Jesus’ name,
The Rev. Magrey deVega
Senior Pastor, Hyde Park United Methodist
ASH WEDNESDAY NEXT WEDNESDAY
Join us next Wednesday as we begin our Lenten journey, titled “Cultivating and Letting Go.” Our online Ash Wednesday service will broadcast at 6:30 a.m., noon, and 6:30 p.m., on our Facebook page or website.
We will provide the imposition of ashes in person following each of those services, 7 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 7 p.m., at both The Portico location and the Magnolia parking lot of our Hyde Park location.