Church-Wide Vision Survey – BEGINS JULY 8
Dear Hyde Park Family – We need your voice. You are invited to participate in an important part of our Vision Team’s work
This survey is anonymous, and no matter how long you’ve been at Hyde Park we need your voice. It will take less than 20 minutes, and we ask that you complete it as soon as possible, but by no later than July 22.
This survey is intentionally different from other surveys you may have taken in the past. These questions are designed to have you think about what is vital for us to address in the future, and we thank you for considering each question fully.
TAKE SURVEY NOW (starting July 8)
Vision Chat Recap
It is with deep gratitude that we express our appreciation to everyone who participated in a Vision Chat this spring.
Close to 200 members of our congregation contributed openly and generously in these important conversations as part of our sustained effort to discern how the Spirit intends to use Hyde Park United Methodist– its people, its service
We had chats open to the entire congregation as well as focused meetings with specific groups, including current and former leaders, our 20s and 30s ministry, our youth, small groups, and the Chancel Choir and Joyful Praise Team, just to name a few.
Together, we explored and wrestled with challenging questions about our high calling as Christ’s church in Tampa, asking
- How can Hyde Park United Methodist deepen its discipleship?
- How can Hyde Park United Methodist extend its reach into the community and the world?
- How can Hyde Park United Methodist adapt to cultural changes?
In response, you shared personal anecdotes, perspectives, meditations, observations, and revelations, all of which are shaping and being incorporated into the next step in our listening phase of this initiative: a congregational survey.
This online survey is being developed now and will be rolled out this summer in June or July. We’ll communicate the survey widely and look forward to deepening this conversation with you.
What are we doing?
- Engaging a sustained effort to discern how the Spirit intends to use Hyde Park – it’s people, its service, and its worship – to make God’s love real (John 21:15-17) and make disciples (Matthew 28:19), both today and in the future
Why are we doing this?
- God is calling Hyde Park UMC to an exciting future: one where we are making God’s love real in all the ways we can, in all the places we can, and to all the people we can
- The world is changing, and people think the world is becoming more separated and more divided.
- Our mission to Make God’s Love Real hasn’t changed. Our goals of sharing the message of God’s grace and forgiveness, bringing healing to our city and the world, and inviting people to follow Jesus are as urgent as ever.
- We can no longer assume the church has the same stature, authoritative voice or appeal as it once did in our culture. The world is changing and Tampa is changing, too.
- Hyde Park UMC can play an important and practical role as repairer and restorer of the divisions we see in the world. (Isaiah 58:12)
What have we done so far?
- Met with leaders of the church’s ministries
- Met with the church’s elected committee leaders
- Met with program staff
- Asked for the congregation’s “headline” visions
- Reviewed data on the demographics and engagement of our church members
- Engaged in focused conversations with nearly 200 church members through Vision Chats
Where are we in the process now?
- Listening mode and further data gathering – with a congregational survey being distributed in July. We’ll communicate the survey widely and look forward to deepening this conversation with you.
What do we need from the people of Hyde Park?
- Be in prayer that our congregation hears and discerns the Spirit’s word to us
- Participate in the upcoming congregational survey