6 – 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 18 and Saturday, Dec. 19, 2020*
The event is free and open to everyone.
This year has been a challenging, different year for all of us, yet the good news of great joy from the story of Christmas remains the same! Join us for a meaningful, safe way to experience the Advent Season! From the comfort of your own car, drive through Hyde Park United Methodist’s Magnolia parking lot to experience nine different scenes alternating between the classic story of the birth of Christ and stories from modern-day, which name our struggles and the reasons Jesus is the greatest gift we could ever receive.
Our Drive-Through Nativity features live volunteer actors, live animals, narration to accompany each scene, festive Christmas music and specialty Christmas lighting. Come and share in the joy and the true meaning of Christmas in a new way with us!
- Be ready to listen. The narration and music for scenes will be available on our podcast. Subscribe ahead so you’re ready to go!
- Drive-through takes approximately 20 minutes once you enter the area with scenes.
Pack the car with fun! Put the kids in their PJ’s and bring along some fresh popcorn for everyone to enjoy. Afterwards, check out displays of Christmas lights around town and talk about Jesus being the light of the world.
You will have the opportunity to give an offering at the end that goes toward our Sparrow Fund.
* All cars in line by 8 p.m. will be able to enter the event.
Questions? Email us! email@example.com
No restrooms will be available.
Experience Christmas at Hyde Park United Methodist with all our events and worship services.
ADVENT KIT PICKUP
Joy to the World!
Get into the Christmas spirit with Children’s and Youth Ministries for an
Advent Kit Pick-Up Party!
4 – 5 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 29
6:30 – 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 2
Drive through the Magnolia Parking Lot and pick up a 2020 Family Advent Kit, an in-home resource filled with fun and interactive activities to prioritize your faith and family this Advent season and help your family have the most meaningful Christmas ever.
Check out this video for a sneak-peak at what’s inside the Children’s Ministries Family Advent Kit!
Enter the parking lot from Magnolia St. and follow the signs.
- Please stay in your car and wear a mask.
- Drive slowly through the marked route
- Pull up to each station
- Make sure to put your car in park at each station
We can’t wait to see you! Questions? Email Kristin
2020. What a year. But before we get to 2021, help your family this November do something that may seem a little odd after all we’ve been through—help them be grateful. Use the Gratitude Prompts to help them express gratitude. Pray for each other, that God will help you face each week with an attitude of gratitude.
You can use the prompts in a few ways:
OPTION #1: As a family, go through the prompts all month long and randomly pick a circle. Maybe it’s a good dinner time activity! (Note: Don’t feel like you have to do this every single day. Choose a column or row, or go through the chart in whatever way makes the most sense for your family.) Read a prompt and ask each family member to think of a person or story that comes to mind and share it with everyone.
OPTION #2: If you want to remember your answers, fill in each box with each person’s answers. Or have each person fill in their own chart.
OPTION #3: If possible, send a thank you note, text, email, or handmade card to the people you think about to let them know you are thankful for them.
OPTION #4: Planning a Thanksgiving dinner? Go around the table and have each person pick a prompt and share about a person or story that comes to mind.
We have some Manna Bags that are for sale if any family would like to pick some up. Please contact Emily, email, if you’d like to purchase and pick them up for $5 each.
If you would like to make your own Manna Bags at home, these are the items that we use to make them:
- Fruit Gummy Pack (small): Kellogg’s Fruity Snacks Variety Pack (2.5 oz., 36 ct.)
- Beef Jerky/Slim Jims: Slim Jim Original (120 ct.)
- GO GO Apple Sauce: GoGo SqueeZ Applesauce, Apple Apple (3.2 oz., 28 ct.)
- Salted peanuts or mixed nuts (2 oz pkg): Planters Snack Nuts Variety Pack (1.75 oz. Pouches, 24 ct.)
- Small waters: Member’s Mark Purified Bottled Water (8oz / 80pk
- Cheese and peanut butter crackers: Lance Sandwich Crackers, Variety Pack (1.41 oz., 40 ct.)
- Vienna Sausage: Armour Vienna Sausage (4.6 oz. can, 18 ct.)
- Breakfast bar: Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey Crunchy Granola Bars (49 pk.)
- Plastic fork and spoon w/napkin: Member’s Mark White Plastic Cutlery Packets (200 ct.)
- Gallon Freeze Ziplocs: Ziploc Storage Slider Gallon Bags (120 ct.)
- Hillsborough Homeless Coalition Street Survival Guide (.pdf)
- Jesus Loves Me card
- Sanitary Wipes
This Sunday, our Merge Youth Ministry returns to the real world, leaving the virtual one behind! Youth will meeting under the big white tent between the Ministry Offices and Knox Hall. Middle School students will gather from 3-4:30 p.m. and High School students from 4:30-6 p.m. Students should wear a mask and bring a water bottle they can fill from the campus cooler.
Are you good with construction, painting or decorating? We could use your help as we create nine scenes for our Drive Through Nativity we are planning to do in December for our congregation. Construction crews will meet on Saturday mornings in October, November, and December from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Please email Mac Charalambous to let him know of your skills and availability to help with this team!